Roof mold isn’t just an aesthetic problem. It can also be a major financial setback, and even a major health risk.
By eating away at your roof shingles, your roof is less insulated against extreme temperatures, meaning an inevitably higher energy bill. (And let’s not forget the potential decline in property value!)
It’s not purely an external problem, either. These organisms can also trigger allergies via any window or air conditioner.
The following guide will help you protect your household or business by eliminating all mold, algae and mildew, as well as minimising future growth.
Make your own Chlorine Bleach Solution
While dedicated roof cleaning solutions are commercially available, the following home remedy can work wonders:
Mix 1 part bleach to 3 parts water. Adding some tri-sodium phosphate (TSP) will help clean the roof at the same time.
Removing the Mold
Using a pump-based hand sprayer, cover the affected area. Let is soak for at least fifteen minutes. Try brushing it off. If the mold falls away easily, it’s done its job. If not, let it dry and start over.
Don’t forget to thoroughly wash the bleach away afterwards with a hose, as leaving it on could, in some cases, cause more shingle damage than the original mold!
How to Prevent Future Regrowth
Mold and mildew thrives in enclosed, shady, stagnant areas. Do your best to maximise the direct sunlight and air flow around your roof, taking down overhead branches if possible.
Consider installing a row of zinc strips around the ridge. Rainwater that comes into contact with these strips will undergo a very helpful chemical reaction that stops the growth of mold, running down to lower areas.
To make sure trees and plants around your home aren’t harmed by the bleach solution, simply spray them thoroughly with water first.
After your thorough initial cleaning, subsequent years will be much easier. Simply pick up a roof spray designed to prevent growth, which you can apply once a year and leave on to do the work for you.
Be wary of products with anti-mildew products containing hydrogen peroxide, as these can damage shingles.
If using a pressure cleaner, keep the pressure very low to avoid damaging the shingles.
And, of course, be very careful. DIY roof cleaning has led to a great deal of injuries over the years, so if in doubt, don’t hesitate to call a house washing professional.