Is your roof worn out? Are you planning to put a new roof for your home? Does your roof require repair? In either the case, it is very important to hire an efficient and experienced roofing contractor, if you want your roof with long shelf life. If you are planning to hire a residential roofing contractor, here are a few tips which will help you in making a right decision.
1. The first and foremost thing to look after while hiring a roofing contractor is to check for how long they are in this business and what is their reputation in the market. For instance, if you are hiring a contractor with not much experience or who just started the business, then you may end up with low quality roof and he may be out of the business by the time your roof starts to show problems. In general an average start-up contractor may close his business within 3 years of starting it. So, never risk the safety of your family with a new entrant.
2. Make sure that the contractor you are hiring meets the basic requirements to start the business and has the required license in the respective region. You can get this information from the licensing board of your respective state.
3. Always get the details of the contract proposal including the estimated amount for repairs or roofing in writing on their letterhead and document them properly. This will serve as the proof for the contract you made with him, in case if he changes his claims later.
4. Check whether the contractor assigns his work on contract basis to other contractors. If yes, stop the business with him and approach a new roofing contractor. This is because the subcontractors are paid a very small amount based on the work done and this may lead to poor workmanship as he tends to complete the project faster and start with a new project at the earliest.
5. Make sure that the new roof which will be installed by the contractor is approved by the roofing manufacturer and meets all the requirements and covers warranty.
6. Ask his previous clients list and try to contact them. Ask about the services rendered by the contractor and about the condition of the roof installed. You will get a lot of information from them like the quality of work, amount charged for the work done and behavior of the contractor when the clients raised complaints regarding the roof etc. You will also come to know about the workmen and their mode of work.
7. Verify whether the roofing contractor you are planning to hire is a certified installer of the products you are planning to install.
8. Make sure that the contractor provides emergency services, if the need arises.
9. Last but not the least, check whether the contractor has a permanent office address, phone number, mail id and also check if he is registered with workplace safety and insurance company or not.
By taking these preventive measures, you are bound to choose a genuine and experienced contractor who will ensure the safety of your family and belongings.